Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Currently suspended from work. Two months now on full pay.

Currently suspended from work. Two months now on full pay. Investigation in progress. NHS. Worked for NHS for nearly 30 years. I am now 54 don't know whether to resign to end the "limbo" feeling or stand my ground. know I will be exonerated for my actions to save a babies life. There is no complaint from the family or any injury caused.
Not sure I would have grounds for unfair dismissal. But being off work for two months when I have been working midwife all my life is unbearable. I feel they have me trapped.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. In this situation I would advise you to stand your ground and await the outcome of the investigation, principally on two grounds, one financial, the other a matter of principle. Firstly, on financial grounds, you will get no redundancy or damages for unfair dismissal if you resign whilst there is an ongoing investigation. Secondly, purely as a matter of principle, you have done nothing wrong. The family have not complained. Nor was any injury caused. So there is no reason to back out at this stage. Additionally, if you back out at this stage, you will still have to participate in any investigation or subsequent inquiry. So there is no point in just giving up. Take a holiday and travel somewhere you can get your mind off this difficult event. Use your full pay to go travelling and put this out of your mind.