29905560

If a tupe transfer contract was years, extended

If a tupe transfer contract was for 5 years, extended for a further 2 years, then the same firm wad asked to carry out duties for a further 1 year until a new tender was found, would you still have your legal rights as stated in first take over by this "same" company.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
The protection you get under TUPE is indefinite, in a sense that once the transfer occurs your old terms automatically carry over and there is no ‘expiration’ period after which they would no longer apply.
However, sometimes the new employer may wish to try and change some of the incoming employees’ terms and conditions. It could happen straight after the transfer or months, even years down the line. Under Regulation 4(4) of TUPE any such changes are automatically void, unless the employer can show they were in no way connected to the transfer or if they were necessary for an economic, technical or organisational reason (ETO reason) subject to employee agreement or the terms of the contract permitting the change.
Some employers may try and justify changes by arguing that they are needed due to harmonisation and therefore rely on an ETO reason. However, Government guidance and case law has restricted the application of harmonisation as a genuine reason to amend a person's terms of employment. Harmonisation will only be a valid reason if there is a change in the workforce and this must involve change in the numbers, or possibly functions, of the employees. In practice, relatively few contractual changes would involve such changes so harmonisation will rarely be used as a justifiable reason.
If the changes are part of a wider reorganisation which has nothing to do with the transfer, then they may be effective. The longer the gap between the TUPE transfer and any reorganisation, the greater the chance that the causal connection will be broken. However, there is no specific period after which it is safe to say that the connection with the TUPE transfer has been broken, as the test is whether the change is connected to the transfer. The mere passing of time does not of itself break the connection.
It is for the employer to prove that a proposed change is permissible under TUPE and if there are concerns that the changes cannot be made, this can be challenged by raising a formal grievance first and then considering making a claim in an employment tribunal.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'