How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 868
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

Employees rights. I would like to understand how to negotiate

Resolved Question:

Employees rights.
I would like to understand how to negotiate a good deal if a person was being made redundant.
what government bodies advise on employment law?
Which union is suitable to become a member for qualified accountants?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.
There is a statutory minimum for redundancy for employees.
Employees who have been working for their current employer for 2 years or more will get:
half a week’s pay for each full year you were under 22
one week’s pay for each full year you were 22 or older, but under 41
one and half week’s pay for each full year you were 41 or older
There are some caps. The length of service is capped currently at 20 years and weekly pay is capped at £475.
The maximum amount of statutory redundancy pay is £14,250.
Some employers might offer more than the statutory but they do not have to do so. The employees contract of employment would need to be checked to see if it provides for more than the statutory.
Acas (Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service) provides free and impartial information and advice to employers and employees on all aspects of workplace relations and employment law. They are governed by an independent council. They can be found at:
They have a free Helpline on 0300(###) ###-####for free support and advice.
I can not personally recommend a Trade Union for an Accountant however you could try:
Kind Regards
I would be grateful if you could kindly rate my answer. I am new to this service and positive feedback is gratefully received. Please note that we receive no credit for our work or payment unless positive feedback is received.
ukfamilysolicitor and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you