I was having a new residential house built on land that I owned

Customer Question

I was having a new residential house built on land that I owned - My Building Contractor opened an account with EON for a temporary supply of electricity - near the end of construction EON invoice arrived addressed and delivered to my Building Contractor - unfortunately my Building Contractor has hit financial difficulties (leaving several of his clients with unfinished projects) - I then received the same invoice, with the same amount that was originally sent to my Building Contractor from EON - but now readdressed to me and they are demanding that I settle this account as I owned the land! EON are also now demanding that I also make late payment charges as well.
When I have disputed this situation with EON they are quote a long held legal law that supersedes the JCT contract I signed with my Building Contractor which states that they (my contractor) will be responsible for all power used.
EON apparently changed the invoice and account details because they received a phone call from someone (presumably my Building Contractor) saying the account should never have been in their name - they say (EON) they don't know who changed the details
What's my legal position please?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
To be clear did you ever instruct EON?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Alex,

No I never gave EON any verbal or written instruction I never communicated with them at anytime - only until the mentioned invoice was changed and sent to me

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Is the only basis because you own the land?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning Alex

Yes, EON's only case is that I own the land.

As previous I never instructed them to open up an account, the account for temporary power supply required to carryout the building contract was opened by my Building Contractor and they were invoiced accordingly by EON - it was only when my Building Contractor hit financial difficulties that the invoice mysteriously was readdressed to me.

Do EON have a case?

Regards Joe

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
How much is owing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok, well you can refuse to pay on the basis there is no contract. All they can do is issue proceedings in the county court which you can defend, if you are claimed against then you can counter claim against the builder.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?
If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HI Alex

Disappointed with this answer, as anyone could have told me this, it was something as a professional I already knew.

What you have told me is that I should (potentially) get a County Court judgement against myself and then counter claim against the builder!! You were already told that the builder has financial difficulties, and I certainly couldn't have a CCJ against me.

My original questions to you which involved checking the law or for precedence was - does EON have a case? that as owner of the land I still remain responsible for any debt incurred - a simple question I thought

I wouldn't use this type of internet service again

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok good luck.