75100385

I have a lodger through the rent-a-room scheme. The

I have a lodger through the rent-a-room scheme. The agreement I have with the lodger is the one downloaded from the spare room website. It is entitled Rent a Room (Lodger) Agreement and the Early Termination Period is 'One calendar month'.
The lodger gave notice on the 10th of August and found another room quickly which meant that he wanted to leave the room on the 2nd of September rather than the 9th of September. We advertised the room but our new lodger will not be coming until the 11th of August. Our current lodger is querying whether he needs to still pay for the 2nd to the 9th. We would have been willing to negotiate with him if our future lodger could come on the 2nd so we wouldn't be out of pocket.
What is the legal position on this?
Regards,
Hazel XXXXXXX
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
The lodger does need to pay from 2nd-9th September. This is because the agreement says one calendar month. The lodger is not give this so technically is in breach of contract.
So on that basis you can claim for those 7 days.