12826847

Can you help me please. My daughter looked at a house to

Customer Question

Hi can you help me please. My daughter looked at a house to rent which she liked. The letting agents told her they would not contact her rent landlord until the credit checks had gone through, but they sent for references straightaways. The current landlord told her she had to leave the property in a month. They then told her she could stay for six month but putting her rent up £75 extra per month. She has now received a letter of access from her landlord saying that they want to show a valuer around next Tuesday 1st September at 11.00 can they do this without her agreement on time and date and can they enter the property if she is not there or unable to make that time and date? You advice would be greatly appreciated.
They are entitled to reasonable access to the property and this would amount to reasonable access.
However, they cannot just demand access on a date of their choosing. They have to inform her by received means of their intention to enter at a particular time no less than 24 hours in advance. If that time is inconvenience then they should rearrange to suit her. They do only have to give her three difference chances to allow entry before they can say that attendances obstructing them unreasonably and gain entry but they haven't done that here.
She is entitled to refuse access and ask for different dates but if it is an occasion that she can do then it would make sense to agree as it will be done at some point.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How long must they give notice please and can they put her rent up straightaway?
24 hours in advance.
They can increase rent but only at the end of the contract.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry how long notice to get out of the premises?
It depends on the type of contract.
If it is an AST then they cannot give notice until that ends.
If it is a periodic tenancy agreement then two months.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jo, sorry just one more question can they enter the property next week with there own key if my daughter is there or not?
Well, as I said above, it depends on whether they have previously offered her appointments.
Not if this is the first one.