How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10528
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I am going to let out a room in my home. My insurance

Resolved Question:

Hello. I am going to let out a room in my home. My insurance company and mortgage company have been informed. My mortgage company has said that I must not let out the room "exclusively". Does this just mean that I must have access to the room? For weekly cleaning perhaps? Also, I would like to use a lodger agreement that includes a clause that will satisfy my building society's request. Can you point me to an appropriate one to use please. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. When your mortgage company states that you shoudl not let out your room "exclusively" it means that you should only issue a licence in relation to the room and not a lease. A licence merely gives someone the right to use and come and go from the room but it preserves your right to enter upon the property and clean and maintain it if necessary. A lease is a more formal arrangement whereby you could only enter with the permission of the tenant because the tenant would have exclusive use of the room. So when issuing a lodge agreement, you have to style it a "Licence" and retain the right to access the room. Here is an appropriate licence agreement for a lodger Use it and you will safeguard the position of your building society and accord with their requirements.
Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Law Questions