Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am going to let out a room in my home. My insurance

Hello. I am going to let out a room in my home. My insurance company and mortgage company have been informed. My mortgage company has said that I must not let out the room "exclusively". Does this just mean that I must have access to the room? For weekly cleaning perhaps? Also, I would like to use a lodger agreement that includes a clause that will satisfy my building society's request. Can you point me to an appropriate one to use please. Thank you.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. When your mortgage company states that you shoudl not let out your room "exclusively" it means that you should only issue a licence in relation to the room and not a lease. A licence merely gives someone the right to use and come and go from the room but it preserves your right to enter upon the property and clean and maintain it if necessary. A lease is a more formal arrangement whereby you could only enter with the permission of the tenant because the tenant would have exclusive use of the room. So when issuing a lodge agreement, you have to style it a "Licence" and retain the right to access the room. Here is an appropriate licence agreement for a lodger https://www.flatmaterooms.co.uk/ta-england. Use it and you will safeguard the position of your building society and accord with their requirements.