Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I was arrested in 2011 over a lovers tiff - I was let out the

I was arrested in 2011 over a lovers tiff - I was let out the next morning and no caution and no charges
can I still travel to America?
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Were you given a police caution or was no further action taken? Do you have any other form of criminal convictions or cautions recorded against you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no caution and no previous convictions

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
OK that's great news. The 2011 incident will not stop you getting into the U.S. but you will need to apply for a visa nonetheless. Even were arrest does not result in charge or caution, the U.S. Authorities recommend applying for a visa as entry is not guaranteed.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Please see this additional guidance from the U.S. Embassy: We do not recommend that travelers who have been arrested at anytime attempt to travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program(VWP); they are required to apply for visas before traveling. If the arrest resulted in a conviction, the individual may require a special restricted visa in order to travel. The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to United States visa law. Therefore, even travelers with a spent conviction are not eligible to travel visa free; they must apply for B-1 or B-2 visas. If they attempt to travel under the VWP, they may be refused entry into the United States