Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have a tenant in an annexe to my house. The annexe and my

I have a tenant in an annexe to my house. The annexe and my workshop, sheds and garden are all accessed through a side gate with Yale lock. My tenant has changed this lock without permission and I can no longer access my property. What can I do ?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1.Here you simply change the lock again and issue your tenant with a key. Formally write to the tenant and make clear he is not to change the lock again to the side gate. Set out the fact that your workshop, sheds & garden all have to be accessed by this route and that he has no right to change the lock. His tenancy relates to the annexe not to the whole area at the side of the house. Make clear that you own the property and wish to access your own things. Ultimately, your tenant has acted in a very high handed manner. But you must be firm and set out the position to him.