75100385

Is it right that a local authority can charge retrospective

Is it right that a local authority can charge retrospective hire charges that was previously free of charge and backdate charges 18 months without previously informing of charges?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help.
Has a contract been signed at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A booking form was signed at various times with no hire amounts included. Originally they were free of charge only recently have we been informed that the fee and charges changed 18months ago I believe without a equality impact assessment being done and without consultation with existing users who had the facilities free of charge.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If there was no contract or mention of charges then they can't charge. There is no agreement or authorisation to charge. Indeed if they wanted to charge in future this would have to be agreed and there is no way they can backdate if.
They would have to say, for example from 1 September 2015 you are going to be charged. They can't just impose and backdate it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your answer
A very good service and one I would recommend in the future