Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

We are landlords to a freehold property subject to a long lease.

We are landlords to a freehold property subject to a long lease. We merely render a ground rent charge on an annual basis, there is no other involvement. The solicitors, acting for the Lessee who wants to transfer the lease, have asked in the Landlord / management company questionnaire..."Upon whom should Notice of Transfer and or charge be served? This would be ourselves. Do we require a solicitor to accept the Notice of Transfer or can we merely acknowledge receipt of the Notice, satisfying ourselves that regarding the certified copy of the transfer and that an application will be made to register the transfer at HM Land Registry?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
The Notice of Transfer is merely a short note on A4 paper, prepared by the Buyers Solcitors, confirming that their client is the new Leaseholder, and that future ground rent demands should be addressed to him/her.
You certainly don't need a Solicitor to act for you in acknowledging receipt of the Transfer. Indeed, it would be normal for the Landlord himself to accept the Notice and just to return one copy to the new Leaseholder's Solicitor, duly signed- Landlords just write, in pen, on the Notice "received with thanks xx Landlord".
The Leaseholder's Solicitor will normally send you 2 copies of the Notice- one for you to sign and one to retain.
I hope this assists and answers your question.
Please let me know if you require any further clarification.
Kind Regards
Al