13262538

My Daughter,who was engaged and lived with her fiancee for

Customer Question

My Daughter,who was engaged and lived with her fiancee for 4 months,has recently split up,the problem I have ,is whilst living together,the purchased three piece suite,on a buy now pay in January 2016,in my Daughters name,cost 0f £1,780, since they have split he says he is not paying anything towards this as it is not in his name,my question is since they lived togetherfor 4 months does he no have to pay anything towards the cost of this Debt
Who has kept the suite?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have sold the suite to try and gather the money owed, I have recieved

£ 500 but this still leaves £ 1,280 all I am asking is for him to pay half, but as I have said he has said that he will not pay anything as its in my daughter name

Is there any written evidence that he agreed to pay half?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No they have been living together,and when they went to buy the suite she used her credit card to secure the suite,

I thought that with them cohabiting they where each equal to any debt occured whilst together

I am afraid that this is not the case.
If he had kept the suite then she could certainly have claimed the money, and if she had anything in writing from him agreeing to take on half the liability then I am afraid that there is no basis on which your poor daughter can recover the money.
She could issue court proceedings - but all he has to do is say that the suite and the debt were hers and there is no way around this.
I am afraid the fact that they were cohabiting does not change this.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details