Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My name is***** is possible, my question will be

Customer Question

my name is***** is possible, my question will be to complex for this platform. It is also slightly delicate. I have recently separated from my wife after being married for more than 30 years. We are both German nationals resident in the UK for more than 13 years. We own a property in this country, which is in both our names. My wife has decided to return to Germany to be with family and our four grown up children.
I am planning to build a new life with my girlfriend in this country. This would include buying a flat together to help her get on to the property ladder. She has been married before but does not own a property or part thereof. She does have funds and an income from being self employed. Her worry is when we buy a property together, she could lose her share if I die and my estate falls to my wife and children.
I wonder uf you could comment on this scenario and would be grateful for any advice you can give.
Many thanks.
My email address is***@******.***
Wolf
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hi Wolf and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
Under English law, there are 2 ways joint owners can hold a property.
1. Joint tenants- this means both owners hold the property on trust for each other, so that if either of them dies, the property passes automatically, through survivorship, to the surviving owner.
2. Tenants in common- this means both owners hold a separate 50% share in the property, which share passes in accordance with each owner's Will, or to their next of kin, if they die without making a Will.
Therefore, provided you hold the property as Joint tenants, your girlfriend will have nothing to worry about, if anything were to happen to you. Your Solicitor will discuss Joint tenants/tenants in common with you, during your house purchase transaction.
I hope this helps and answers your question.
Kind Regards
Al
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's very clear and straightforward indeed. Many thanks.
You're welcome.
If I have helped, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.
Kind Regards
Al