12826847

I rented my apartment in a chalet in switzerland to a family

I rented my apartment in a chalet in switzerland to a family & unfortunaletly work was being done on the water pipes while the tenants were there. how much should I compensate them. Holiday cost them £800. They were required to pay £200 for cleaning etc & I deducted that cost & gave them £50 for water. Do I have to pay more?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Did they stay for the holiday?
I presume they are UK based?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No the tenants were in Switzerland & they did stay on for the whole week they booked. They had bottled water to drink & had to put water from the hot water tap down the loo to flush it.

I returned their damage deposit & told them not to leave the 280 swiss francs which was an extra cost for them to pay out there for the hire of linen & cleaning charges. This is equivelent to £250 & included £50 for their bottled water costs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes the tenants live in the UK.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information.
I am sorry but I cannot give you good news then.
I’m afraid they are entitled to much more than this. This is a holiday which was undoubted spoilt by these events. I realise it could happen in any chalet but sadly on this occasion it happened in yours and I’m afraid I can see no basis for claiming anything at all from them.
A chalet might reasonably be expected to include hot water.
It might be different if they had stayed but the did not.
You can try to negotiate with them as obviously they will want to avoid court too but if they went to court they would get much more than this.
Make a full and final settlement offer of 50% of the total price urgently. It is to be hoped they accept that.
I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They did stay for their week.

I have returned the equivelent of a 1/5 of the price of their holiday ( which includes the cleaning & laundry). Do you think I should offer another £200 making their holiday £600 & not £100?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If they did stay then that improves you position.
They do have a claim for disappointment.
Have they accepted your offer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not offered the extra £200 yet. If they accept they will have paid £600 rental for the appartment rather than the expected £1,000.

Would that be fair for them & me!?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It is difficult to predict what a court would order.
Generally speaking you want to be beginning low and coming up if necessary.
Make sure you offer this sum on a full and final settlement basis so that they cannot accept it and then claim more.