Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

What is the law on company collecting identification. For

Customer Question

What is the law on company collecting identification. For instance can a casino require that you register as member because of your age (early 20s) even if you are only using the section not inside the casino itself and under what circumstances are they
allowed to store your personal details DOB, full name and photo on their system. What is the law on this and how long are they allowed to keep this data if you are just visiting.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. As a casino is a regulated industry they are entitled to collect whatever information is required by their regulator (Gambling Commission) - they do not have to allow you onto their premises without this information and verifying your ID as they could lose their license. Once they have the Data it will be governed by the Data Protection Act 1998 - they may only process the data for reasonable purposes - they cannot divulge it to anyone without your consent (although you may have already consented to allowing them to send it to their regulator). They must keep the data for only as long as is necessary - I suspect this may be six years if required for an audit or regulatory purposes. I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards AJ