75100385

I have a huge problem with unwanted junk mail, leaflets,

Customer Question

I have a huge problem with unwanted junk mail, leaflets, phonebooks and charity collection bags and catalogues being delivered to my house. If I were to post a prominent notice on my letterbox indicating that anybody delivering unaddressed items enters into a contract to pay a disposal charge (somewhat analogous to parking notices on private land) could that be enforced through the courts?

Would there be any particular problem in enforcing this against Royal mail as opposed to other companies

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you,
Sadly not as it is not a contract. However in any event Royal Mail is liable, they are just delivering what has been sent. How would they know or be expected to know what is junk mail and what is not? As for a disposal charge I assume you just put this in the recycling so don't pay any additional charge?
You should contact the mail preference service to get removed
http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/
This can help. Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Excluding Royal Mail, how is this different from the parking case? I understood that an appeal court precedent has been set for that recently that such a "contract created by a notice" is enforcible. Its fairly clear that there was not a demonstrable loss equivalent to the parking charge in that case

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Royal Mail is the Queen of course, because its royal. Parking is different because its a matter of contract, RM is different as its a creature of statute.
Does that help?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.