29905560

I bought a year old car from a garage.It drove very well for

I bought a year old car from a garage.It drove very well for 2 days . On the 3rd day it developed a fault and I had to have it recovered to a garage. However they have not had chance to look at it yet at the Alfa garage -not the one I bought it from which isnt an alfa garage, but a different garage. My son says I should get my money back from the garage I bought it from and not wait for it to be repaired. Have I got a right o get my money back?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. When did you buy the car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
last wednesday ;it broke down on the friday
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought it last wednesday
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
When a person buys a second-hand vehicle from a dealer they will have certain rights under consumer law, specifically the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (CPR) and the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (SGA). Under the CPR, the following business practices are deemed unfair if they prompted you to make a decision to buy the car in question:· Giving false information about the vehicle or deceiving the buyer through false advertising· Giving insufficient information to the buyer, for example leaving out important information about the condition of the car Failure to adhere to the CPR rules will be unlawful and may even amount to a criminal offence so if you believe that the dealer acted in contravention of these rules you can bring this up with them when you contact them about this. In addition, you will have certain rights under the SGA, which states that when you buy an item from a business seller it must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and match its description. If the car does not satisfy any of these, the dealer will be responsible. They will only be liable for faults that were present at the time the vehicle was sold, even if they become apparent later on. However, they will not be liable for fair wear and tear, misuse or accidental damage or any issues that were brought to the buyer’s attention before the sale. The age and value of the vehicle will also be relevant and the expectations of older vehicles will certainly be lower, although yours was a year old so this should not be an issue. If the vehicle does not meet the above requirements, the buyer can reject the vehicle and return it to the dealer requesting a refund. However, this will need to be done within a ‘reasonable period, which is usually 3-4 weeks after purchase. So you are still in time to reject it and request a refund. If you do not want a refund you could instead request that it is repaired or replaced without causing you significant inconvenience. The dealer may only reject a repair or replacement if it is impossible or disproportionate in the circumstances. If that happens, you are entitled to get it repaired elsewhere and claim back the repair costs, although there is an obvious risk in doing so as there is no guarantee in getting any of the money back. If the dealer refuses to resolve this issue or accept any liability, you could take legal action against them. However, before going down that route you should try and resolve the issue directly with them by sending them a formal letter specifying how you want this matter resolved and giving them 7 days to respond. Advise them that if they fail to get back to you or deal with this in a satisfactory manner, you will have no other option but to report them to Trading Standards and issue legal proceedings to seek compensation. I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you