Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I have two unpaid parking tickets , I just had the bailiffs

I have two unpaid parking tickets , I just had the bailiffs and the left me a letter saying
Unless paid in full or arranging with the enforcement agent to collect the sum due by 6:00pm
our removal agent will return after that time to seize your vehicle or remove your household goods or business goods.
"If necessary a legal entry will be made even in your absence"
Can they enter the property if I am not there? also the flat is above the restaurant i own can they seize business goods if they are belong to a limited company?
thanks
Is this a local council fine?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. The Limited company is a separate legal entity - they cannot seize something that does not belong to you personally. The bailiffs cannot use force, unless they have court order allowing them to do so, or this is an unpaid criminal fine. Parking is not a criminal offence so they should not use force to enter the property unless they have a court order, in which it should only be reasonable force. A legal entry may involve entering through an unlocked door - the bailiffs can only enter through a door. If you know they are coming I would recommend you wait in your property. You do not have to allow them to enter your home.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your prompt reply. the problem I tried to call them once and negotiate the wouldn't listen cause one of the fines gone up from £195 to £512 and the second one from £195 to £277.

If I stay home and they tried to force entry do I call the police? cause most of the time police sides with bailiffs. I have cctv outside and inside the property.

thanks

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
You are right if you call the police they are unlikely to do anything. I would call the police if they try and use force.
That said they will just keeping coming back. Is there anything you can offer them when they arrive to try and settle the debt? Some kind of goodwill payment?
Also bare in mind they may try and seize any property you have at the front of your premises.
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am worried if I open the door and make an offer and they don't accept . they will try to seize goods there and then.

thank you

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
I would not open the door to them, but once they have gone away you are going to have to address the issue one way or another.
Is the parking ticket a private parking firm?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is from the council, the car was parked in bus stop. officially I don't live at this address my girlfriend registered at this address the car was registered at this address before it was sold I am registered at my mums address cause I still stay there three to four times a week cause she old and needs help.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Are any of your possessions at the address?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

one laptop and clothes and lots of papers

thanks

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
They can only take your possessions. They cannot take anything that does not belong to you. You need to make sure your girlfriend is at the property to ensure they do not take anything that belongs to her. Alternatively remove your items from the property and she can say to the bailiffs that non of your possessions are at the property.
They could in theory take your laptop as payment, but they cannot take clothes unless they are luxury items.
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you , do you think if I call them and say i don't live there and try to make them an offer, the will be prepared to negotiate ?

thanks

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
It has to be worth you confirming you do not have any property at the premises.
I would say to them you can make them an offer in installments but if they want to push you, you will have to consider other options available to you (possibly including bankruptcy) at which point they will get nothing.
Do you have any lump sum you can offer them as a gesture of goodwill and support any payment plan?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I owe them £728 I can afford to pay them £125 a month. how can they push me ?

thanks

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
The only way they will accept a deal is based on affordability - you have to give them evidence that you a) you have no assets and b) can only afford to repay at £125 per month. Then they may be more inclined to accept a deal.
Do you even have a couple of hundred pounds you could offer up front as a starting gesture to get them to agree to a payment plan?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I get paid tomorrow I would be able to pay 200 tomorrow

thanks

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thank you. Once you get paid tomorrow, contact bailiffs and explain to them your situation, offer the money as a gesture of goodwill and explain your proposed payment plan. If they realise you have no assets at the premises they maybe less inclined to attend. Any feedback is gratefully received.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience: Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you very much I really appreciate your help