12826847

Can a Council immediately destroy their evidence after

Customer Question

Hello, can a Council immediately destroy their evidence after issuing a court summons for council tax debt, which was withdrawn just before the magistrates court hearing, since I was not the responsible person for the council tax debt. I believed they had to retain this information and wanted to obtain my personal data in this regard to discover how the council arrived at their decision to summons me for the council tax debt. Thank you.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I submitted a subject access request to the Council to obtain a copy of my personal data following my attendance at the court and the Council confirmed that they had destroyed all evidence (how they established that I was the liable person for Council Tax at a property that I did not own or rent) relating to the criminal proceedings against me.

I'm not sure this is really my area.
I will opt out for others.