12826847

I am an employer and I have a staff member which has accused

Customer Question

hi, I am an employer and I have a staff member which has accused another member of staff of a serious offence whilst in work time. Do I need to inform the Police of the nature of the offence?
regards,
Chris
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi the situation is a staff member has accused another member of growing canabis whilst in work time. And both myself and the Assistant managing Director were unavailable for a week, This has all just come out recently and I am wondering were I stand with respects to the Law. Am I obliged to disclose this to the Police or can I just ask the offending member to leave and disregard what I was told?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You are not under any obligation to make a report at all to the police in the UK. There is no offence in the UK of failing to help the police with their enquiries.
you are not actually under an obligation to dismiss the person either as certainly should ensure that your belief is a reasonable one and that there is a connection to their work.