75100385

If I lose my claim, (it's 10,000 pounds) how much

If I lose my claim, (it's for over 10,000 pounds - fast track) how much the other party will be able to claim in legal fees? Anything they like?

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
What type of claim is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Alex, I apologise for the late reply.

I initially started a small claim but as it is over 10,000 pounds , it is now going to be a fast-track case. The amount is about 12,000.

I am concerned that if I lose I will end up with a massive legal bill from the defendant.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes. The Barrister bill will be £1070 as that is fixed by the court. Generally the costs will be around £8,000 to £12,000
Does that help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Who is the barrister, the defendants attorney?

Will I be given the costs the defendant will claim for legal fees if I lose before hand so that I can make up my mind if I wasn't to proceed with the court hearing?

In other words, can I not proceed with the hearing if I deem that there is a risk in losing a lot of money?

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If you have issued the claims and decide to discontinue then the rule is you are liable for costs of the other side. You won't be given a bill before and decide whether it's worth the risk. The costs will be accumulated and then if you lose at court the costs bill presented.
The judge will then assess those costs to see if they are reasonable. A barrister is not an attorney, they represent the client at trial.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you , this was very helpful

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Good luck
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?
If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Alex,

I am Ok thanks,

Many thanks for your help, much appreciated