29905560

Due to an incident at work with a colleague involving a breach

Due to an incident at work with a colleague involving a breach of health & safety procedures, I have been suspended pending investigation by my company.
There is a discrepancy between my statement and the other colleague as to who was responsible.
Can an employer force an employee to take a lie detector test and act on the results if I agree to sit the test?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Has the employer actually suggested that a lie detector test is taken?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I have not been asked, but it was mentioned in a conversation with my manager.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you answer my question?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You cannot be forced to take a lie detector test and that is certainly not a common way of resolving factual disputes when there is conflicting evidence. So even though the employer may have suggested you take a lie detector test it is entirely up to you if you want to take it. If you do agree to it then you would be allowing the employer to act on its results so I would suggest you only agree to it if you are confident about the evidence you give and the accuracy of such tests. If you do not agree to it then the employer would have to make a decision based on the available information and if there is a discrepancy between the two versions then it would be down to them to decide which one they believe is more close to the truth. So in that case they may not necessarily reach the correct conclusion.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you