12826847

I started an Facebook parents group granddaughters Street

I started an Facebook parents group for my granddaughters Street Dance group.
I called it Hoodlum (in keeping with the Street theme) "The purpose of Hoodlum it is an online community specifically for mums dads and families of junior dancers. The purpose is to enable us to share experiences achievements frustrations and the full range of emotions that dance parents encounter. You can ask questions and give answers it might be as simple as where to buy costumes/props the collective online group can offer moral support. The group welcomes and encourages discussion and even debate in a positive constructive manner."
A parent reported to the dance teacher I had set up a place to have a rant.
The dancer teachers husband wrote on their official site JMP Dancepower please forward bank details and I'll forward remains costs for classes and London (show in November already paid and brought outfits) and said it is best you no longer attend classes.
So my granddaughter aged 10 got kicked out.
No monies has been refunded and this was 25th August.
I wrote on my own FB page feel so sad about Ez being kicked out re above and my FB friends wrote on the thread supporting my granddaughter. One comment was I would send my sons there etc and I said something like she has a son starting school next week - karma.
On Friday 2 community police officers arrived at my home/work where her husband Paul had reported me for Harassment.
He has written on the JMPs page naming a friend of mine who he accused of posting damaging content. I wrote yesterday and said he needs to remove anything that is defamatory to our good character etc.
I've got an essay back but really need to get some legal advice.
How to stop this nonsense and get money back. This is a one woman dance school the kids all danced in Disney on August 21st. Building great dance teams etc this lady only operates in cash and gives no receipts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Another parent a father asked for a breakdown of fees outfits etc and they threw his child out to aged 7 both girls had just danced at Disney 😰
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay.
So, in short, you have received a harassment warning?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Potentially
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They said there wasn't enough on the thread from me but I was responsible for all the peoples comments on my thread
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They came to investigate and hear the other side but in essence that was the implication.
I told them the full story but they said were only interested in what he described as veiled threats. Me writing Karma was not a threat I had to explain what Karma was and they thought I should have written more but I said no because it's about a child starting school. I meant they wouldn't like someone giving him such harsh treatment through no fault of his own.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have broken my granddaughters heart she couldn't even say goodbye to her friends.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think the harassment has a leg to stand on but I wrote to him and told him to stop inferring me on his page obviously I'm block so can't protect my credibility.
He responded with an essay and the police were copied into mine and he responded have no idea what he wrote to them but they said they wanted evidence of posts before they rang me or they could get ambushed!
Since then he wrote the long email to me nothing about harassment but there is a request asking me to leave him his wife and son alone.
I'm not interested in them personally I want to be able to write a business letter claiming compensation for money spent which he said he'd reimburse. I could go to small claims but need legal advice of what's realistically possible within the remit of the law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Did the officer give you a harassment warning to stop contacting him?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would that have been verbal or written.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It could have been either.
Best practice is to do it in writing but verbal is fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I think because I hadn't it was more to stop any additional comments on the thread. Nothing further has been added.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They were more it could be seen as harassment but said it sounded like it was a bit over the top reaction to stop a child going dancing but it was her business and she could choose who went.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
Did they tell you to stop making contact?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They did not
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wrote to him last night and copied police in. This was in relation to defamation and removing posts with my friends name.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a letter written to Jade but have put it on hold as I don't wish to escalate things but equally want my say about the unethical way she treated my granddaughter.
In short my granddaughter will not be going back to JMP as this is completely unacceptable to treat us in this way and then try and make it our fault. But I have to understand the law and what is realistic possible.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
theIt is quite difficult to tell what the police have done here but it might well be a harassment warning. If so, I'm afraid contacting him is a breach.
I'm not really sure what else the police were doing. They shouldn't really just be attending to give you a telling off. If that was all the case was worth then they shouldn't have taken a report at all.
In terms of recovering, it depends what's the contract says. If he is saying that you are acting in breach of the contract and the contract allows for termination in those circumstances then he could rely upon that. However, if he is just decided that he doesn't want her to attend then that is something that he is perfectly entitled to do but he has to give you a proportionate refund. If he will not then you can sue the Small Claims Court to recover and it is quite unlikely that that contacts would amount to a breach of any warning that you have been given.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He said he'll refund remaining class costs, London show and any other costs outstanding but hasn't.
As part of last nights email he said Class Talent will be organising refund of the London Show for us. They are an agency who JMP works with, I believe my contract is with JMP. I paid Jade the cash for everything I do have my on records but she refuses to give receipts period. There isn't a contract to sign etc its all ad hoc pricing changes depending on her mood shes very dramatic and irractic. Its not ideal but the children love the dancing. How does one work out what is proportionate?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You are entitled to a refund of any classes that are not received.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about branded outfits that my grandaughter is unable to wear shorts and tshirt were £67 cap £6 socks£10 bag £12 etc etc
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid that you cannot claim for those if the only issue is that they are effectively a uniform that will no longer be useful to her because she cannot attend this particular class.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its a London show that she can now not dance in because they have expelled her. we had to buy it.
she has uniform for dance classes which is branded too
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I understand.
I'm afraid the cost of the uniform is not claimable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh dear it gets grimmer by the minute. An innocent facebook group and a child kicked out without any discussion negotiation etc vague threats of alledged harrassment and wasted police time and public purse. It would appear theyre quite the experts. We do not really have anywhere legally to go, small claims would cost more than a few classes.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, harassments are generally a load of nonsense. It was a bad piece of legislation for lots of reasons.
I'm very sorry but they can refuse entry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got a call from the police yesterday and they basically said they are not interested in this any more. I asked specifically if I had an harassment order made in writing or verbally he said not even a telling off, they had a call saying that a threat had been made etc but there investigations proved there wasn't a threat and as far as they are concerned they've heard both sides and there is no further action to be taken.
Yesterday I received another email from Paul saying he paid £20 to cover outstanding class costs and costumes and props are non refundable. He refers to the agency Class Talent to pay for London event.
He is asking for a response to:
Which posts I am claiming are reframing me
Who informed me these posts exist
How they've had an impact on our respective reputations
Why am I making/allowing allegations of them punishing children on my Facebook Page
Why did I tell anyone that Jade would kick anyone out who spoke to me or the other parent who was asked to leave
Why do I find it necessary to call Jade a Prima Doña
What does "Well you saw Jade in action before, maybe I should have seen this coming" mean
You claim it is unprofessional the way we have acted, yet we haven't shared anything you have written, or commented on what you have written or allowed to be posted on your Facebook page, nor demanded you remove them. You however, have posted screen shots of the message and email I wrote to you
As this is a serious matter I'd appreciate a response today
Paul
He then sent an email to my husband at 17.41
Good evening
Please can you check to make sure Lynette is receiving her emails
She has alleged we have deframed her character and I have requested specific details about this and some other points but I have not had a reply.I do not wish to add fuel to the fire by responding. My thinking is as the harassment is not an issue and all the info has been taken from Facebook its best to let sleeping dogs lie so to speak.
In your professional opinion is this an appropriate response - not to respond?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, if he is contacting you then he can't really argue that you are harassing him.
I would just ignore him. Two reasons really. Firstly that email is just written in a way that suggests any response will be used against you. Secondly, actually you annoy people like that far more by ignoring them than responding. Silence is a surprisingly powerful weapon. He will be expecting a response and when you ignore it he will not be happy.
Also, whatever the officer told, it isn't really sensible to have contact with a person who is making allegations.
Truth is that if she has been removed in the way you describe then you were always going to have a moan about it to somebody. There is no magic in it being on Facebook.
He seems to be arguing that you have made an allegation of defamation but I'm not quite sure what he thinks he can do about that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wrote to him after my friend Holly McClure asked me what she could do to get her name of the JMP page.
I wrote
Dear *****
I write with reference to your postings on the JMP Facebook page.
Defamation can have extremely negative consequences in ways far beyond financial, defamation can cause a great deal of distress and emotional turmoil for the degraded party/parties
I insist you immediately remove your posts which in anyway imply or allege anything but good character of myself and Holly McClure.
Holly McClure and myself are unable to access the JMP page and if we are not fully assured this has taken place we will seek legal advice and potentially claim for damages to compensate for the impact on our respective reputations
Regards ***** ***** WithersI remain of the mind to ignore him totally. However he's struggling to contain himself so I'm sure he will not let this be over.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No, but ignoring him now would be the right thing to do as it is annoying him even more. I find silence very useful. It is much harder to do than to respond as the natural reaction when faced with unpleasant contact is to start talking to defend yourself but it is often much better. It is extremely provocative without ever placing you at risk of being accused of being antagonistic. The more angry he becomes the more likely it is that he will misbehave and you will have ammunition to use against him.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jo, your advice had been extremely helpful
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice