13262538

How do I find out if my dad left a will?

Customer Question

is there any reason you think he did ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes we remember him mentioning it but don't know weather he actually did,and we don't get on with his new wife

Thank you for that.
Did he speak about a Will before or after his marriage, and how long had they been married?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Before and after, not sure about 7 yrs, we were wondering if we have to claim to the house, Andrew ( my partner) his dad passed away last month,he's dad remarried about 7yrs ago to this woman,who hasn't put any money whatsoever into the house,as it was paid for prior to the marriage,Andrew helped to pay the mortgage off.,we were expecting to inherit the house when dad passed and we don't know weather he left the house to her or my partner,and we were wondering if we can find out without being intrusive.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can't see your reply

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Before he remarried and after,they were married for about 7years. We were wondering if we have any claims to the family house. Andrew,my partner,is an only child,and his father passed away last month.He was married to this woman,who consequently hasn't paid any money whatsoever into the house,as the mortgage was paid before she met dad.we're not sure where we stand. How do we find out if he left a will or not,and what are our rights? Ps Andrew helped to pay the mortgage when his mother was alive,expecting the house to pass to him.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Relist: Incomplete answer.

HI
My apologies for the delay caused by an unexpected meeting
You refer to your partner paying into the mortgage - how much and for what period?
Is the property registered in his father's sole name?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My partner helped with the mortgage when his parents were in financial crisis,a one off payment of approximately £3000, The house was paid for before remarriage,and was in my father- in -laws sole name.

HiHow much is the house worth and what is the extent of any other assets?Clare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Approximately£90,000, she's already sold his jaguar,and kept the cash, nothing else is valuable to us.

Were they living together before the marriage at all - if so for how long?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes,for about 3 years

If the house is in his sole name then his widow will either need to apply for probate if there is a Will or for Letters of Administration if notYou can check to see when she does this using the= Standing Search service described herehttps://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/searching-for-probate-recordsIn an intestacy the widow receives all the personal belongings and the first £250,000 of any assets so is there is no Will then your husband will not inherit anything I am afraid.Since he made a payment towards the mortgage he may have a small claim on the property using Property Law - but it will be very small indeed and it may not be financially worth pursuing I am afraidPlease ask if you need further detailsClare