ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

Family Law - I am involved in a family law case. My sons ex

Family Law - I am involved in a family law case. My sons ex is stopping us seeing our Granddaughter, she is making claims that I and my husband have maltreated the child i.e. hurt her - which is totally untrue. My son is not capable of defending this case himself and the legal fees are crippling us. Can I represent him as a Mackensie Friend. Thank you
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
I am a solicitor and will assist you.
It is often accepted that a family member or friend can assist at court as a McKenzie Friend for an unrepresented party.
You would be able to provide moral assistance and note taking but unfortunately you are not able to address the court on behalf of your son.
Please see the link below for practice guidance as to the Role of a McKenzie Friend:
http://www.familylaw.co.uk/system/uploads/attachments/0000/8125/McKenzie_Friends_Practice_Guidance_July_2010.pdf
Please do however consider that it is sometimes better not to choose a McKenzie Friend who too close or is in some way connected to the outcome. Whilst the argument that your son should have support is a strong argument - I would also be concerned that since allegations have been made against you - which you deny - that you may have to at some stage give evidence in the case. The mother may object and the Judge would have to decide. I wonder whether there is a 'less connected' friend or family member who might be willing to help.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Please remember to rate positively - thank you
Please remember to rate positively - kind regards