12826847

My daughter in law is in arrears with her rent has spoken to

My daughter in law is in arrears with her rent has spoken to landlady and said all monies will be paid by end of month she has gone out today and then got a phone call to say she has been evicted and locks have been changed and she has 48 hours to get her things out of the house she is 21 years old with a 30 month old child
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is the land lady within her rights to change the locks without a eviction notice
It depends.
What type of accommodation and contract is this?
How far in arrears is she?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The land lady's mum says 2 months but she has a 500.00 bond and a months rent in advance my daughter in law is not saying she won't pay she has been ill and my son her partner has been out of work but is now employed she has no where to go no money at the moment and a 30 month old child
Yes, but you have to bear in mind that her circumstances cannot be visited upon the landlady.
Is this a self contained property or is she sharing with the landlady?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's a self contained property with a 6 month contract 3 months is left on the contract
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's a self contained house 6 month contract with 3 months left on contract
If that is right then the landlady cant just change the locks. That is unlawful eviction which is a criminal offence.
She can seek a possession order at court. She is entitled to do that for arrears. The risk of that is that your daughter would be liable for costs although they are not usually high.
The only way she can change the locks is if she gives her a set of keys to the new lock. A tenant of this nature can't be excluded in this way.
Can I claridy anything for you?