29905560

Workplace bullying and harassment

I am a British National and work for a Middle East office of a European owned company. I am being bullied and victimised by a Member of staff who happens to be related to the boss. I can't complain to HR as other staff around me have already done so and been fired. I have a significant file of evidence of abusive messages, humiliation tactics and witness statements. UAE employment law is very embryonic and I suspect very little can be done. I now fear losing my job and loss of earnings is imminent. What are my rights as a Bristish citizen working for a European company and could I take action with the European Headquarters, via a UK solicitor?
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Is your employment contract governed by UAE law?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Ben, yes it us. My contract is an unlimited contract.
The issue is that if you are specifically employed under a contract which specifies the law of a country, this is what your rights will be governed by. The fact that you are a British citizen would make no difference to your position and neither would working for a European company. Being employed by a European company would only give you the right to claim against them in Europe if you were employed under the laws of a European country. However, if you are working abroad and employed under a local contract governed by the laws of that country, it is that country’s laws that will govern your employment rights. So in this case you may only be able to rely on UAE law to assert your rights against the employer. Unfortunately I cannot tell you what rights you may have as I am a UK lawyer and you would need to speak to a UAE lawyer to discuss these. I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you