Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am planning to acquire a 46ft Ocean Motor cruiser. However

Customer Question

I am planning to acquire a 46ft Ocean Motor cruiser. However my brother in law (a solicitor and judge is going to buy it for me and he will own it for the first 6 months or so. and it will I suspect be registered in his name. Although it will be comprehensively insured from day one. In the event that it causes damage to a third party is tha captain on the day or the owner who is responsible for any liabilites incurred?
Also what contractswneed to be exchanged when purchasing?
many thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Any liabilities occurring in relation to the boat are the responsibility of the owner and not the captain on the day. So, although your boat will be insured, the person who will be sued a liability arises in the first six months will be your brother in law as he will be the owner. Not the person who is captain when any accident occurs. Secondly, the contract to be exchanged will be a usual contract for boat transfer which will transfer ownership to your brother in law. A similar contract will then transfer ownership to you. I would advise you to get a marine lawyer to handle the exchange. It is very straightforward.