How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JG_Legal Your Own Question
JG_Legal, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 45
Experience:  Experience of consumer law, financial regulation and criminal law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JG_Legal is online now

We own a registered Common of 1.82acres. Nobody has

Resolved Question:

We own a registered Common of 1.82acres. Nobody has commoner's rights. It is overgrown, has a few trees, much deadwood. Can we clear it? This would involved removing impenetrable thicket, maybe a few trees but leaving the best trees. I repeat that we own
it and there are no other interested parties.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We live in Wales
Expert:  JG_Legal replied 1 year ago.
I would say you can if there are no commoner's rights and the vegetation you intend to clear isn't supporting an important ecosystem or otherwise has special interest.Natural England (a government environment quango) can stop individuals removing vegetation from registered commons if it is done without legal authority. As the owner, and without any conflicting rights (bar the environment issues noted above) I believe you do. However, to be on the safe side, check with Natural England.I hope this helps but if you require further clarification please do not hesitate to ask.
Expert:  replied 1 year ago.
I see you live in Wales. If this relates to a registered common in Wales my answer stands but if you want to be sure you need to contact the relevant Welsh authority which you can find here:
JG_Legal and other Law Specialists are ready to help you