13262538

My relationship with my girlfriend has come to an end. I have

Customer Question

My relationship with my girlfriend has come to an end.
I have owned a three bedroom town house for the last 7 years.
My girlfriend moved in with me 5 years ago.
My girlfriends son of 22 moved in about 2 years ago, and because of this the relationship has broken down. I and my girlfriend agree that the relationship is over.
However she is dragging her heels about finding somewhere else to live. This situation has been dragging on for over two months.
I am prepared to offer her £6K to help her with her rent on any new flat she finds.
Because she has not made any effort to find new accommodation I now wish to give her an altermatum saying she and her son have to be out of my house by the end of this month, I have already given her £3K and will give her another £3K when she leaves.
She has made no financial contribution to the mortgage or utilities over the 5 years.
Question: Can I give her this altermatum ?
Question: If she has not left by the end of the month can I change the locks and put her bags etc out on the drive ?
G Cole
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
You need to give her "reasonable written notice" to leave if you wish to avoid an application for an Occupation Order.
Whilst there is no specific definition in general terms 28 days is reasonable since there are no minor children involved
It does have to be written - a text or email will not suffice.
At the end of that period you can indeed change the locks and pack her belongings for collection.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome I hope all goes well