13262538

Just wondering if I could bend your ear bit of legal

Just wondering if I could bend your ear for a bit of legal advice!
My mother in law has an ex who moved out 4 years ago, they were never married but we're together for 16 years. He did some diy on the house and is now trying to claim a percentage of the sale. Would he have a leg to stand on? Or is he just trying it on?
Really appreciate it if you can help
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstHow much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage.What work did he actually do?Clare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi the house is worth 385K and there is no mortgage, the house is owned out right by my mother in law.

He put in some drainage in the garden, a small drive way (which didn't have planning permission and subsequently has had to be put back as a pedestrian pathway). He put new cupboard doors on the kitchen cupboards and installed a shower in the downstairs bathroom. All of which was funded by my mother in law and was carried out over 7 years ago and has since been redone in order to sell the house. He paid rent during the time he lived there which barely covered living expenses.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
How much did the garden drainage and the downstairs shower cost and how much did they add to the value of the property?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

mum paid for the price of all materials, the drainage was actually put for free by a friend of his that owed a favour. Its hard to estimate a value that has been added to the house as the work was shoddy. The shower probably added a few hundred pounds value at best. The drainage has since been redone again!

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
In effect this is a try on.
had he actually done the work well and it had increased the value of the property then he would have a very small claim on the proceeds of sale (may be £1000 - £2000) and even that would be ambitious and more based on the fact it wouldn't be worth the cost of arguing
However given what you have said it is unlikely that he will in fact have any claim at all
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details