75100385

I had a car accident 3 years ago in which I was at fault.

Hi, I had a car accident 3 years ago in which I was at fault. The insurance company investigated and after reviewing documents they said that the insurance was invalid because the owner of the car was incorrect on the policy and they accused me of fronting. 3 years later they have contacted my mother and informed her that they cannot outlay the cost of the accident and want her to repay £8824. Please could you advise what our rights are and whether we can dispute this?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help,you.
What do you mean the owner of the car was incorrect?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
At the time of purchasing the insurance we informed the insurer that the registered keeper of the car was my father but. In actual fact the registered keeper was me. My mother was the policy holder and myself and my father were additional drivers on the policy.
Wjy did you not disclose it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My mother purchased the policy when neither my father or myself were around. It was a mistake and unfortunately we did not pick on it until the insurer informed us
Did you not seek to correct it? On what basis was cover revoked, are they saying they would not have insured.?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We did not get a chance to correct as we were not aware of the incorrect information untill we were informed by the insurer. They revoked the insurance because they said that we were fronting to get cheaper insurance
OK, you need to complain to the Ombudsman who can investigate. There is a new bit of law that came out which says if it is not a material change they can't void the Policy.
So you should complain to the www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk who can investigate for free.
This should resolve your problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the advice, could you define what a 'material change' is. I'm not sure I understand. Thanks
That is down to the Ombudsman, whether it would make a difference whether they would insure.
So a speeding ticket, is probably not. But failing to declare you had been disqualified would be.
Does that help?
I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?
If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.