Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My partner was in the irish navy from 1997 till 2004. He had

My partner was in the irish navy from 1997 till 2004. He had a will in the navy while on active duty. My partner has now passed away. He father was named as the executor on the. Is the valid? As he had left the navy.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Until a will is actually revoked, whether by the making of another will or by its destruction, it remains valid. Here, just because your partner left the Irish Navy, this does not invalidate the will. However, if y our partner got married subsequent to the making of the will, then this will invalidate the will and it will no longer be valid. So, did you get married to your partner subsequent to him making the will?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we were together for nine years and have a 22 month old son.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. If that is the case, then the will is still valid. Having a son or cohabiting does not invalidate a will.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.