How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33080
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

I entered into a civil partnership in England back in 2007.

Resolved Question:

I entered into a civil partnership in England back in 2007. My partner and I 'converted' this to an equivalent partnership in Norway about 5 years later. She is Norwegian and I am British and we had planned to move together from UK to Norway. We have now been separated for 18 months and are officially divorced in Norway. My question is this: does this divorce mean that our UK civil partnership (which we never converted to marriage in the UK) is now automatically legally dissolved? Many thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
when did you do this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Civil Partnership was in England in July 2007. Norwegian marriage papers came through some time in 2012. We ceased cohabiting in March 2014. Norwegian divorce finalized mid-July 2015. I am waiting for the Norwegian divorce certificate to be sent on to me from England (I'm currently an F-1 visa student in California).
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
The divorce will dissolve both the marriage and the civil partnership. You do not need to get divorced in the UK as long as it was proper dealt with in Norway.
Thomas Judge and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks, Thomas. That's very useful to know.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.