Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in law
27487359

I entered into a civil partnership in England back in 2007.

I entered into a civil partnership in England back in 2007. My partner and I 'converted' this to an equivalent partnership in Norway about 5 years later. She is Norwegian and I am British and we had planned to move together from UK to Norway. We have now been separated for 18 months and are officially divorced in Norway. My question is this: does this divorce mean that our UK civil partnership (which we never converted to marriage in the UK) is now automatically legally dissolved? Many thanks.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
when did you do this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Civil Partnership was in England in July 2007. Norwegian marriage papers came through some time in 2012. We ceased cohabiting in March 2014. Norwegian divorce finalized mid-July 2015. I am waiting for the Norwegian divorce certificate to be sent on to me from England (I'm currently an F-1 visa student in California).
The divorce will dissolve both the marriage and the civil partnership. You do not need to get divorced in the UK as long as it was proper dealt with in Norway.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks, Thomas. That's very useful to know.
pleasure