13262538

Please help, i was considering asking my boyfriend to move

Please help, i was considering asking my boyfriend to move in and am on single working tax credits and family tax credits. He is an international student from the united states tier 4 which states he cannot work or recive benefits and does not have a national insurance number. The benefits agency are not giving me definitive answers as to what they say a couple is and that without a national insurance number from my partner the benefit would stop even though he does not and can't contribute as he can't work. He wants to marry but I Dont want to rush to be honest so my question is ... What is the definition of couple for family tax purposes, do I lose all my benefits and get thrown into poverty letting him move in, would he get a national insurance number if we were to marry?

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
What income and capital does your boyfriend have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He is a disabled war veteran, no capital and just approximately $1000 per month....I think its around £800. He currently lives in student accommodation near his college.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
If your boyfriend moves in with you then you will be a couple since you are in an intimate relationship and living in the sameproperty.His income will be counted as part of the household income and will effect any means tested benefits although you are likelyto still receive benefits at a lower rate.I am afraid that he will only be able to work if he obtains a Spouse Visa - and you will need to have an income of more than £18,400 a year to be eligible for thatI hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further detailsClare
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

His income cannot be counted because the hrm say he needs national insurance number ... I am sure if they counted his income we would still get benefits however without national insurance they say they cannot process it and I lose my benefit. His visa says no work and no benefits... But I rely on these as I am on such a low income.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
That is nonsense - you will simply have to provide evidence of what his income actually is - he will not be making a claim - you will - which is allowed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I was going on the information tax credit people said which was that he needs a national insurance number but the term 'couple' has been answered differently ... One person said living together and the other said sharing bills, letters coming here and bank details here and I am completely confused and before I make a decision I need to be sure of the consequences , I have 4 children and a mortgage/bills to pay and really do not want to be pushed into poverty.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Please do not worry
You will have to disclose his income but you will not lose all your benefits
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your time and help.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome - I hope all goes well for you