Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in law
27487359

I'm in the middle of a divorce and my ex has been financially

Customer Question

I'm in the middle of a divorce and my ex has been financially blackmailing for the last 15 months. He is now manipulating others into forcing me to pay bills which he should be paying and it's all getting too much. He is trying to bankrupt me. Please help.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
what is your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Optional Information:
System of Law: England-and-Wales

Already Tried:
My solicitor knows everything. There is so much of it. The police know some of it though say it's civil

in what way?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We have several rental properties. He has been receiving the rental income from these for the last year, gave us his paid job. It was agreed he would pay the bills for these properties from the income as well as the mortgage on the family home. Since then he has stopped paying many of the mortgages and dumps most of the service charge bills on me. He then threatens me with legal action via the managing agency if I don't pay the service charge bills. One of these rental properties which we both own, he put a new tenant in and then prepared the tenancy agreement, putting my name as landlady and signed it on my behalf, without my knowledge. He received all the housing benefit which was payable to me but paid into his bank account. He then wanted the tenant evicted so refused to pay the mortgage on this flat unless I evicted the tenant at my cost. He's turned the Directors of the residents association against me by telling them it's my flat and I'm refusing to evict this antisocial tenant. I then had an email from one of the Directors who is a solicitor demanding that I evict this tenant.Despite my explanations he said I am the landlady!

I am not sure you are actually asking a legal question for me to assist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You haven't told me what I can do. Is this fraud? If so, what can be done? Is it blackmail? If so, what can be done?

If he has signed a document with your name and entered into a contract in your name then that is fraud. This is something which you would be entitled to raise with the police or get your solicitors to bring civil proceedings against him. For your solicitors this should be a very straight forward claim against him. Happy to discuss, but please change the negative to a positive rating. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What would the police be likely to do?

Would civil proceedings cost a lot?

Is there anything I can do to get him to stop forcing me to pay bills for which he has received the income? Manipulating other people by lying to them, to get them to get at me is overwhelming.

My concern always with the police is that they may take the view that it is simply a cvil matter - proceedings could cost upwards of £2000. The best thing really is civil action
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have you any idea of a possible outcome of such proceedings? This is a huge cost which is probably why my solicitor has dismissed it.

If you can prove that he fraudulently entered into the contract then you will win and be able to seek damages against him - but it does come down to your evidence as in all civil cases
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Would a tenancy agreement with my name on, signed by himself as pp with his own company as letting agent be enough do you think? I have no idea how I'd prove that I knew nothing about this.

I think you are going to need to prove the fraud - I am not sure that is enough
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It just seems so incredible that he can keep blackmailing me to pay bills by threatening me with legal action when he's received the income from the rental properties which should be used to pay those bills and he owns the properties as much as I do! Is there nothing I can do to put a stop to this? It's been ongoing for 15 months now and I'm finding it hard to cope emotionally and financially.

Well sadly the only way to stop it is to do something - this means instructing your solicitors
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What could I instruct them to do?

This is now technically a different question from the original but I will answer - you will need them to basically threaten your ex that you will take him to court for the fraud but offer him the opportunity to put it right, so as to the avoid the need (and expense) of court proceedings. I hope that helps