75100385

I want to know if I can take legal action against false accusations,

Customer Question

I want to know if I can take legal action against false accusations, defamation and list of earnings . To summarise the case : an ex family member took police to my stepdad work and arrested him for false allegations , we complained to the police why they went to his place of work and was told that the person who make the accusations said that they didn't know where my stepdad lived , which is a lie as he has lived with my stepdad before , so that is malicious planing to get my stepdad ashamed in front of workers and to lose his work , so we want to know if we can take legal action for this ?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Your Stepdad was arrested because of false allegations and released?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes release on bail until further investigation
Ok. You can only take action if you have suffered serious harm, even then you would have to issue proceedings in the high court. If the matter goes to trial you are looking at circa £15,000 in legal costs and legal aid isn't available.
However the police can charge for wasting police time, but they and only they can consider this.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest. People can be just nasty.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So I can't take legal action for defamation, loss of earning , ?
You can but only if you can show serious harm and also it has to be in the high court.
Does that clarify?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So for defamation and loss of earning I have to show serious harm? Well the only serious harm is that he lost earnings and almost his work as it was the main intention of that person!!!!
Yes the test is serious harm. Without serious harm there is no claim. It is a requirement.
Does that help?
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/