Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

There is some land and stables near to where I live.

Customer Question

There is some land and stables for sale near to where I live. We made a starting offer on it last year (150k, asking price was 180k) the estate agent totally ignored is and failed to answer phones or emails. When we delved deeper it appears to have been on the market for three years. Why would someone put land up for sale but then not engage with a possible buyer? What does the vendor or the agent have to gain? Extremely frustrating. We still haven't found anything else as suitable and it's still up for sale so as it's been about a year since we last tried I'm going to see it again tomorrow, under my maiden name! Is it acceptable for an estate agent to offer land for sale but then refuse to engage in business talk once an offer is made?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
I can't really explain the reasoning behind the Estate Agents lack of communication. What I can say is that if a property is on the market, an Agent is under a duty to disclose all offers to their client, the Seller.
Perhaps it may be the Seller who is being awkward.
Anyway, I think the best way forward would you to be honest with him tomoorow- explain your frustration and ask for an explanation. If you don't feel you get anywhere with him tomorrow, you should look into the Agents background- they should hopefully be a member of some Association and you can make a complaint to them.
If you really want the land, you can also get a local Conveyancing SOlicitor to do a Land Registry search to see who owns the land, and their address, and perhaps approach them directly. Unfortunately, even though the land is on the market, the Seller is under no legal obligation to enter into correspondence with you or accept any offer you make, however favourable it is.
I hope this assists but please let me know if you require any further clarification.
Kind Regards
Al
Can I assist you any further?
If not, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.
Kind Regards
Al