12826847

I returned from holiday to find that my fridge was not working.

Customer Question

I returned from holiday to find that my fridge was not working. I contacted a workman who was advertising in our Local Ads a free booklet that is delivered locally every month.
He came out and looked at it and said it needed replacing and he would supply and fit a new 'fridge, delivery in three to four days. I paid him £350 and recieved a signed invoice.
That was the last Isaw of him. Numerous phone calls got no answer, calls going straight to voice mail.Signed for letters were sent to his given business address and his home address
with no response.
I have since learned that he has conned many people, usually older people like myself,
and has been in prison twice for the same offence. He also appeared on the BBC television programme Rouge Traders and was caught by them charging for work that was not done.
My main reason for taking this further is not just the money but to stop him doing it to other people.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
Well I would do the following - contact Rogue Traders and Trading Standards to advise them that he is up to his old tricks again. You can of course sue him in the small claims court for the money - www.moneycvlaim.gov.uk but you may be throwing good money after bad. I would see the merit in the former suggestions as set out above. Please remember to rate positively - thanks
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience: Over 25 years experience in law
Do you know his address? Don't give it to me but do you have it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Was it your intention to rate my colleague's answer? I will be unable to continue if so but can opt out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I would value your opinion.

Sorry for the delay. Don't worry. We can sort that out at our end.
Can I presume that he was trading in his own name?
Not using a limited company?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He was using a business name but it was not a limited company

Did you pay him or the company? Did you write a cheque? To whom?
Who issued the invoice?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I paid him as he seemed to be a one man band. Ipaid in cash.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He issued the invoice and signed it himself

You can indeed contact Rogue Traders and Trading Standards. To be wholly honest, it is likely to be a waste of time.
If you want to recover then you are going to have to sue. It is not expensive to do that as this is a small claims court sum.
The issue here will be that he may start saying that you have sued the wrong entity. I think that if the invoice was in his name and he signed it then it is probably safest to sue him personally. If he defends on the basis that it should have been the company then you can always apply to amend the claim on that basis.
It might be right that it will be a struggle to get the money but if you don't get a CCJ then there is no chance at all.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, that has been extremely helpful

No problem.
All the best.