13262538

I bought my daughters wedding dress and paid in full

Customer Question

I bought my daughters wedding dress and paid for it in full in January 2015, the wedding was to be September 2015, the dress remained in the shop, it was a sale dress, unfortunately my daughter called off her wedding in May and contacted the shop to say the wedding was cancelled and could she have a refund, they said they could only put it back on the rail to see if it sells, well it has not sold, and they will not refund us. Having looked at the sales invoice it only states that monies will not be refunded once a gown has been ordered. It only says that sale garments must be paid in full within six weeks, well this dress was paid for in full on the day of purchase but the dress never actually left the shop nor had any alterations done to it. My question is ' is the shop in the right not to refund'?
HiThank you for your question.Why was the Dress left at the shop?Clare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The dress would have needed some alterations nearer the wedding, i.e length taking up.

I am afraid that there is no legal requirement for the shop to refund the monies based on the fact that the wedding was cancelled.
There is no automatic right to a refund at all - although many shops offer one voluntarily
You would only have been entitled to a refund if the goods had been faulty in some way.
The fact that the dress has not left the shop is sadly not relevant
I am sorry to add more bad news to what has clearly been a difficult year - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But surely they should offer some refund, we took the bridesmaids dresses back to the store we purchased them from and got a full refund even though the same dresses were in a sale on the day of the return.

Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
I would imagine that they took the bridesmaids dresses back as a gesture of goodwill. There is sadly no legal obligation for them to take the wedding dresses back. You might want to ask them if they would be prepared to sell the dress for you in an attempt to recoup some of the money. Some companies will consider this situation. Happy to discuss. Please remember to rate positively - thanks
I am sorry that I was at court for the afternoon.As I said there is no Automatic right to a refund - but many larger (and smaller but more generous) shops do give refunds for the purpose of good customer relationsSince they have clearly failed to sell the dress for you you may find it more effective to sell it yourselfI am so sorry not to be able to give better news