Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in law
27487359

I am a local councillor and a member of the public claims I

I am a local councillor and a member of the public claims I have defamed him in an email. He has initiated action in the County Court (Liverpool Civil and Family Court) for a claim of £3,000 in damages plus £115 Court Fee.
I totally reject the claim but always thought such cases for defamation could only be dealt with in the High Court.
Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
You are correct defamation cases should be dealt with in the High Court and are not matters to be dealt with seemingly in your case in the small claims court. I would set out your defence (to avoid summary judgment) but also mention in the defence that the claim has been incorrectly brought. Please remember to rate positively - thanks