Hi Jo, I need to know how to respond please as I do not want to go to court just because I was embarrassed about this honest issue I have created. Thank you
Hi Jo, since sending my last reply, asking how I should proceed I forgot to also mention I am also happy to pay for any administration cost incurred and a potential reasonable fine. Thank you
Yes that would be fine. As I said this was an honest mistake due to embarrassment on my part. If it helps I also know now a number of the guard on the Cross County trains with whom I have travelled with for 9 years who could vouch for the fact that I do normally catch that train.
Thank you Jo.
Yes please, can you please clarify:
* the letter is headed Notice of Intention to Prosecute. It states is it to in form me of their intention to take this case to the Magistrates Court and provides me with a sheet for me to use this opportunity to tell them what happened. There is no summons information regarding Regulation 18 of the Railway Bye Law.
* The letter also does not make any mention of any out of court settlements.
* Are you advising I provide them with the detail that I originally sent you at the start of this thread and also make an offer of an out of court settlement ?
* or send them the details only and wait to hear back from them?
* Also, if they will not accept an out of court settlement how would I plead guilty by post?
* and if I plead guilty by post based on what you have advised, what should I expect a fine in the region of please?
* If the fine was large could I pay any fine in instalments?
No legislation quoted.
Details of the offence: failing to hand over a rail ticket for inspection.
* If I ring them and make an offer and they say no, where do I go from there?
* Should I return the form with the 21 days they are asking with my response of what happened (beginning of this thread)? and attach a letter making the offer?
*How would I get back to you with a free follow up question ?
OK. If it transpires I am stuck with pleading by post, then should I return the form with the 21 days they are asking with my response of what happened (beginning of this thread)?
or wait for a form that allows me to please by post?
OK thank you very much.
Would you recommend me to get a solicitor to deal with this for me? or do it myself as per your advise. Do you really think having a solicitor would make a difference please?