ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

I have a property question. I bought a house with

Customer Question

Hello, i have a property question.
I bought a house with my ex partner in 2001. earlier this year he passed away. Both our names were on the mortgage, I am living in the property, my question is how do I change the property deeds to only now have my name on them?
Linda
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
Please can you confirm if you were Joint Tenants or Tenants in Common
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is my problem, I have a copy of the deeds in front of me but it does not state either of those options.

Ok - please can you tell me what it does say.
Can you remember when you bought the house if you were to own the house equally or in separate shares?
Kind Regards
Caroline
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We bought the house in 2001, and as far as I am aware it was equally.

Linda

Hi Linda
The Title Register Document will show the names of the people that own the property and, if you are tenants in common will also have wording similar to: "No disposition by a sole proprietor of the registered estate (except a trust corporation) under which capital money arises is to be registered unless authorised by an order of the court".
If there is no such wording in the Title Register Document then you are almost certainly joint tenants.
You can ask the Solicitor who did the conveyancing to check their file aswell.
You need Application form DJP: remove the name of a joint proprietor from the register, after a death.
Which can be found here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/deceased-joint-proprietor-djp
Kind Regards
Caroline
Please remember to rate positively. No credit is received for our work unless positive feedback is received. Thank you.
Please remember to rate positively - thank you
Please kindly remember to rate positively - your question will not close and I will be able to answer your follow up questions for free. Kind regards.