Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

Today 10/09/2015 i exerienced very unplesant and offensive

Customer Question

Today 10/09/2015 i exerienced very unplesant and offensive situation in my workplace. One worker called Wayne
Troley attac my person verbaly using words f**king knobhead three times. He is british and probably he treat me badly
because im polish but didnt said it loud. There was people around i working with and few jewish boys. He was realy angry
and drop heavy part of the bench to the ground and start attac me. I felt humiliated. He took away my personal dignity. I
try to explain him the situation but he didnt listen at all. At this moment i can see his face full of hate, scary face.
My frend Waldemar give me fast advice to leave this place because he was ready to hit me. I speak with my frend and he
told me that i shoud go to his manager and tell everything what i did. Manager said to me that he cant do nothing in this
situation. Next hours in the work i spend carry on fear and regret in my mind specialy that im a sensitive person who is
always polite and ready to deal with everybody. I back to home upset and exhausted by this situation specialy that i will
meet this person tommorow probably. I dont know what i can do with this. Please help me.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks for the response.
I would suggest you attend work tomorrow and raise a written grievance to say that you cannot work unless you have assurances that your health and safety is protected. You should say that you believe that this verbal attack was racially motivated and ask the employer to treat it seriously.
The employer should then take steps to investigate the allegation which may involve suspending your colleague.
If they do not take you seriously then you can argue that this is discriminatory and bring a claim against your employer.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If i have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.