Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

My partner has talked me to gift her son a car and i have said

Customer Question

My partner has talked me to gift her son a car and i have said that i ma selling it to him at the heavily discounted and this is my gift to him but he needs to pay me £2000 over the period of 16 months . I has happened in May 2014. He has got a car but I have got nothing so far from him. In addition I have separated from my partner recently. Now all of them saying the car was a gift all together. I have obviously signed the change of ownership of the car which I was driving for 8 years. Any chance to recover money : or car ?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
The option you have available to you is county court action. You can start a money claim on line here - https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome
Taking this action is likely to sour your relationship further and it is worth considering that if genuinely does not have the money to pay you all you would be left with is a Judgment that you have 6 years to enforce. You could also enforce the Judgment against the car once you have obtained it.
What is the car worth?
Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

II is Mercedes 220cd reg GU53OCK car worth at the transfer time in May 2014 about 2700 and I have agreed for him to pay me £2000. later on in August I have purchased new tyres for this car as it was given to my son in law to use it for a week.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thank you. Write to him and demand full payment within 7days and say if he does not pay up you reserve the right to commence court proceedings. Suing him will have to be the next step especially if you want to try and claim the car back as payment.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have done so but he did not answered my letter. I have given him an option to return my car or pay £2000 . No response so far.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thank you. If he does not respond in 7 days, I am afraid suing him is the only other option available to you. Once he receives a court claim, he will have to respond to it or at the very least get in contact with you to settle the matter. Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your answer and I will get Small Claim Court action moving soon

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
No problem. I wish you the best of luck.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can assist any further.
AJ