13262538

A very dear elderly friend of mine will not make a will, she

A very dear elderly friend of mine will not make a will, she has told me that she would like to change her existing savings account to a joint account in both our names, firstly to enable me to deal with her affairs as she is now quite frail and secondly so that the money in that account will become mine. Please could you advise me if this would be legally binding.
Kindest regards,
Karen
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help youDoes your friend have any close family - and is she willing to confirm in writing that she wants you to have the contents of the account?Clare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Clare, my friend has 2 nephews that are not particularly close, however they do visit now and then.
My friend has not said anything other than wanting to change the account into joint names and the reasons why.Karen
The basic law is that where funds or assets are held jointly then they pass to the survivor on the death of the first to die,and it is clearly this that your friend has in mind.However unless there is evidence that the Donor did intend this to be a gift then theAdministrators of the Estate can challenge this and demand the return of the money to the estate.This can be avoided by a simple letter confirming that your friend is aware that the monies will pass to you and that this iswhat she intendsI hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply, my friend is very frail so would a printed letter with her signature be suffice?
It would - but can I suggest that you get someone independent to prepare it and watch her sign