How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70194
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Custody advice pet

Resolved Question:

Custody advice for a pet
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Weil my suitution is that I took the cat with me as I felt that marmalade my cat would not be looked after probably as the amount of times that my dad who isn't my real dad I was just adopted he doesn't look after the way I do. I have had a family of cats who most of them lived to the ages 17-20 years. He does not feed or give her water and to me that's the most important thing
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Who paid for the cat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think he did not sure
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
To whom is the cat registered with the micro chipping company?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She isn't chipped I don't think
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So if she is chipped registered to me theN what's my legal standing on keeping the cat
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
If he bought the cate then the cat remains his property, unless he then gifted the cat to you. The law is very clear that cats are regarded in law as the ‘property’ of their owner. I hope that this helps. Happy to discuss. Please rate positively.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid the answer above is completely wrong.
If you give me a few moments I will type out the correct answer.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
He can seek a declaration of ownership from the county court.The court will consider a number of factors such as who paid for animal but also to whom it is microchipped, who looks after it daily, to whom it is registered at the vets.If any microchip is inserted after you left then that evidence is fairly worthless I'm afraid. If it was earlier then it becomes stronger.The longer you look after the cat the better your case is.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No ok thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem.
Please remember to rate my answer.
All the best.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70194
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Law Questions