Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in law
27487359

My partner and I have been together years. years

My partner and I have been together for 10 years.For 2 years we lived together in my home which I owned outright. My partner owned a flat and a bungalow in her name.2 years ago we decided to set up home in her bungalow.I sold my house and invested a large part of the proceeds of my sale in my partners home towards doing the place up and other improvements. I sold most of my furniture and she said she preferred hers and it fitted the house better.We are now in the process of splitting up and my partner is refusing to even consider splitting our assets or in any way returning to me any of the money that I agree I happily invested in what are her homes in her name in the belief that we were building a future life together. Is there any way I can recover the thousands of pounds i have invested
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
Were you actually married?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No just living together
Yes you clearly have an interest in his property. You have something called an equitable interest. You should see a lawyer who can write a formal letter to him. You are entitled to your money. Happy to discuss. Please rate positively - thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thomas thank you for that I am very relieved to hear it but a little confused. I did pay £85 about 12 months to a solicitor just out of frustration at getting nowhere and to see where I stood she told me I didn,t have a claim as both the properties were in her name and the fact we had lived together for over 2 years did not matter.That advice appears to have been in error can you expand a bit please on your answer so that when i go to see another lawyer I know what i am saying to them
Well that solicitor is wrong. I would suggest that you go to a new solicitor as you have something called a TOLATA claim. This is because you have invested in the property with your money towards improvements and the like. This gives you an interest.Please rate positively - thanks