Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Our son married a Macedonian girl on the 19th August 2015.

Customer Question

Hi our son married a Macedonian girl on the 19th August 2015. As Macedonia is not in the EU we are struggling to find the right visa for our daughter in law to live and work in the UK. Can you help thanks
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Is your son a UK national?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes our son was born in the uk
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. If your son's Macedonian wife is currently in the UK, then she applies for a "family of a settled person" visa if she is in the UK and wishes to continue to live here. This visa will run for 2 years six months. Basically, she will have to provide a copy of her passport from her home country as well as a copy of the Marriage Certificate evidencing her marriage to your son. However, if your son's wife is currently in UK and wishes to apply to join your son in the UK, then she needs a different form. Here is a link to the form VAF4A https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-uk-visa-for-family-settlement-form-vaf4a. Here she is on the path to permanent settlement in the UK on the basis of her marriage to your son. Be aware that these applications would normally be made online at this link https://www.gov.uk/apply-uk-visa. So your son's wife should make her application online and use the printed forms merely to know what is required.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks for your response. I probably need to give a few more details to see if it changes anything. Our son married Monika in Macedonia and they are staying in Skopje in Macedonia. They both want to live and work in the UK. Monika speaks fluent English but has no certificate to prove this, she also holds a masters degree in criminal law from the university in Skopje. I don't know if this makes any difference to what visa,our daughter in law can apply for. Thanks
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. No, none of this makes any difference to the type of visa your son's spouse can apply for. There is no English language requirement for a spousal visa. Nor is there any education requirement. However, it will help to progress the visa application. Normally it takes 8 weeks for it to be processed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks for your response.just another question.. My son is currently in Macedonia not working one of the qualifications is he must earn £16.800 per year, but until he comes back to the UK he has no job. The £16,000 savings is out of the question. Is there any other visa my sons wife can apply for, without the £16,800 requiirement needed. Thanks
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
3. I don't know of any way around this qualification of income which is required. The idea behind it is that neither the person who is the UK national nor the incoming NON-EU person be a burden on the social assistance. This is why there is this income requirement. But I know of no avoidance method of this requirement.