I signed up expensive City & Guilds

Customer Question

I signed up for an expensive City & Guilds course and on the first day we were given copies of the end of course exam papers along with a copy of the tutors eyes only handbook. I feel this devalued the course as all students were given a free ride to thier qualification. Is this grounds for breach of contract? The course was paid for in full by credit card.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
You say devalued, have they breached any term of the contract?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Alex,

The Approved Centre must:

 only use the City & Guilds Assessment Materials in formal, summative assessment leading to the award of credit / a qualification and not for any other purpose (including, but not restricted to, teaching, revision, as practice assessments or for commercial purposes);

 handle and store securely the City & Guilds Assessment Materials in accordance with the following conditions

- City & Guilds Assessment Material must be accessible
to learners only during formal assessment as governed by the assessment conditions specified for the qualification;

- Learner portfolios may contain assessment results referenced to the assessment taken but should not contain the City & Guilds Assessment Materials (such as assessment tasks or questions (unless otherwise stated));

- the Approved Centre must not make public in any format the contents of any City & Guilds Assessment Materials either in part or in full;

- City & Guilds Assessment Materials must be securely handled and under no circumstances shared with third party organisations or individuals

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
How much did you pay?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

£4500 for a 24 day course.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce. You can also name your card provider as second defendant as they are jointly liable.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.